Activate your eSIM thanks to iPhone XS, XS Max & XR
What is an eSIM?
- The “e” stands for embedded, meaning that the SIM card is integrated into the device and cannot be removed.
- The manufacturer (such as Apple, Samsung, etc.) installs the eSIM chip directly into the smartphone, tablet or smartwatch.
- Salt subsequently uploads the eSIM profile to the device, including data about the subscription and telephone number etc. This means that a physical SIM card is no longer necessary.
- eSIM are available in all the Salt Stores as an eSIM voucher. Find a Salt Store.
Activating an iPhone with eSIM
The iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.1 and above come with a dual SIM function. This means that they have an integrated eSIM as well as a SIM card slot into which a nano SIM can be inserted.
The iPhone can work with either only the eSIM or only the nano SIM or with both SIMs used as a dual SIM function. In case the iPhone is used with only one SIM we recommend to use it with the Nano SIM and not the eSIM.
The eSIM is sold in all our Salt Stores as an eSIM voucher (see picture below).
The eSIM is sold in all our Salt Stores as an eSIM voucher (see picture below). The standard activation fees of CHF 59.- apply.
Activation process to do on the iPhone
Important remarks before starting the process:
- Make sure that your iPhone has an active internet access. It can be over a Wifi network or if a Nano SIM is active in the iPhone you can use the mobile data access. This internet access is needed to download the eSIM profile on the iPhone.
- Make sure that the iPhone has at least iOS version 12.1.
- In case of SIM swap from a Salt Nano SIM to a Salt ESIM, don’t forget to remove the deactivated Nano SIM. If you keep the Nano SIM in the iPhone, the iPhone will try to use this Nano SIM to connect to the Salt Network and this will not work since the Nano SIM has been deactivated. The activated ESIM can be downloaded over a Wifi network.
How to activate it:
1. Go to your iPhone settings
2. Select "Mobile Data"
3. Tap "Add Data Plan"
4. Scan the QR code on the Salt eSIM voucher
5. Tap "Add Data Plan"
6. Tap "OK" on Uncertified Data Plan message*
For more information, see the Apple instructions.
* This warning message will not affect at all the usage of the iPhone. Apple will remove this message as of October 2019.
By default, the SIM PIN is deactivated on the eSIM. However, it can be reactivated if necessary. You will find the PIN on the eSIM profile voucher. You can activate the PIN in the device settings. The PIN can be changed after you have entered it for the first time.
If you wish to sell or give away an eSIM device, reset all the device settings. This will delete the eSIM profile.
- Open the settings on your device.
- Select “General” > “Reset” and click “Delete settings & contents”.
Yes, it is easy to switch to an eSIM as long as your device supports the eSIM function. You can keep your current telephone number. You can get an eSIM in all our Salt Stores for the price of CHF 59.-
For information about how to use the dual SIM function on the iPhone XR/XS/XS Max, contact Apple.
WhatsApp works in the same way with the eSIM as it does with a conventional SIM card. However, if WhatsApp is used with a dual SIM, you can only register and use one telephone number for WhatsApp on the device.
Mobile ID is currently not available with an eSIM.
Yes, eSIM is available in the same way as the physical SIM card for prepaid customers of Salt.