Verification of your identity
Did you order a subscription or prepaid SIM-card from us? Before the SIM-card is delivered, a brief verification of your identity must be carried out.* Thanks to the Salt ID Checker app, which allows you to scan the identity document you specified during the order (Swiss identity card, Swiss passport, residence permit B, C, L, G or foreign ID), you can do it very easily. This procedure is simple, fast and secure (see below).
*In accordance with the Federal Law on the Surveillance of Postal and Telecommunications Traffic (BÜPF), SALT Mobile SA is required by law to identify all customers who purchase a SIM card by means of an identification document and to store a digital copy of this document in the customer account.
Frequently asked questions
Why do I have to identify myself?
Salt Mobile SA is required to identify all its customers who purchase a SIM card. In accordance with the Federal Law on the Surveillance of Postal and Telecommunications Traffic (BÜPF). This identification must be made by means of an identity document and Salt is obliged to keep a digital copy of this document in your customer account. For more information about the protection of your personal data, please visit fiber.salt.ch/en/legal/privacy.
What are the benefits of digital identification via the Salt ID Checker app?
- Simple : with the Salt ID Checker app, you can identify yourself digitally in only 3 steps using your ID document provided at the time of the order, wherever you are.
- Safe : Salt processes your data securely. None of your data is stored on your smartphone. The data you enter in the application will only be used to validate your identity document as required by Swiss law (SPTA 2018). For more information on the protection of your personal data, visit sur fiber.salt.ch/en/legal/privacy
- Free : the identification via the Salt ID Checker application is free of charge (unlike traditional identification via the Swiss Post, which involves additional costs).
How does the identification with the Salt ID Checker app work?
1. Download the Salt ID Checker app on your smartphone (App Store, Google Play).
2. Scan the QR code you received by email or, on your smartphone, click on the link in the email.
3. Scan your ID document.
4. Then record a video selfie of your face.
Some good practices:
1. Scan the QR Code
- On your computer: open the email you received containing your personal QR code. On your smartphone, open the Salt ID Checker application and scan the QR code displayed on your computer screen.
- On your smartphone: simply click on the link in the e-mail you received.
2. Scan your ID document
- Identity documents in credit card format: You have to scan this type of identity document with your smartphone's camera in landscape format. First, scan the page with your photo and then, if requested, scan the backside.
- Identity documents in paper format: You need to scan this type of ID document with your smartphone's camera in portrait format. First, scan the page with your personal data and then the one with your photo. Make sure no light is reflected on the pages
3. Record a video selfie of your face. While recording, you need to move your face slightly.
4. Miscellaneous : You have to carry out the identification process in one go without interrupting it. If you interrupt the process, you have to start again from the beginning.
Which ID documents are accepted for identification via the Salt ID Checker?
The following ID documents are accepted by the application:
- Swiss and foreign passports
- Swiss and foreign ID card
- Work permit L, B, C, G
Which smartphones are compatible with the Salt ID Checker application?
The Identification via the Salt ID Checker is only possible with the following devices:
iPhones with iOS 11 or higher: iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, iPhone 6S, iPhone 7, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8 and all the following iPhones.
Smartphones with the following Android systems and camera features:
-Marshmallow 6.0 – 6.0.1, Camera API level 23
-Nougat 7.0 – 7.1.1, Camera API level 24-25
-Oreo 8.0 – 8.1, Camera API level 26-27 -Pie 9, Camera API level 28
Non-exhaustive list of the most common smartphones among the Android systems mentioned above:
-Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, S9+, S10, S10+, Note 8, Note 9, S20, S20+ & S20 Ultra 5G
-Samsung J7 Pro
-Samsung A8 (2018)
-Huawei Nexus 6P,
-Huawei P20 Lite, P20, P20 Pro, P30 Lite, P30, P30 Pro
-Google Pixel C, Google Pixel 2 XL, Google Pixel 3
-One Plus 5T
If your phone is not compatible with Salt ID Checker, call our customer care to have a different method of identification.
What happens if identification via Salt ID Checker fails or if I do not own a smartphone to download the application?
If you have purchased a subscription or prepaid SIM card from Salt and the identification via the application failed, your SIM card will be delivered to you by post. On delivery, you must show the same identification document as you used when placing your order. If you show another identification document, the post will not hand over the SIM card.
If you have purchased a subscription or prepaid SIM card from Salt and you do not own a compatible phone, you have two options:
- After 15 days (and various identification reminders by email) your order will be delivered by Post. On delivery, you must show the same identification document as you used when placing your order. If you show another identification document, the post will not hand over the SIM card.
- Call our customer care and request the delivery of your order by post. On delivery, you must show the same identification document as you used when placing your order. If you show another identification document, the post will not hand over the SIM card.